Skip to main content

Self-made compost maker drastically reduced my garbage!

f:id:naru443:20200617130227j:plain
Compost maker "Kiero", I was interested in.
I think the Creator of Kiero is genius!
"Kiero" can make compost only for 1 week, no stench, reduces garbage. 
If you grow vegetables, you know the soil becomes thin.
But I don't want to spend money for soil. This is easy to continue and highly recommended.

I'm addicted to reborn vegetables right now.
Do you know? ( I didn't know)  If you bury vegetable garbage (that have been thrown away until now) in the soil, they will regenerate with a high probability!
Salad, perilla, bell pepper, tomato... Maybe, it will not be necessary to buy them this year. All these are reborn vegetables from supermarket. These help my family very well.
About reborn vegetables, I will write soon.
Today I focus on Kiero.

About Kiero
This is the compost maker like this.

ベランダデキエーロ
Major compost maker in Japan is used for EM bacteria like this.
Amazon | アイリスオーヤマ コンポスト 生ゴミ発酵器 EM-18 | DIY ...
This type takes about 3-months for making compost from garbage. And it smells for this period. So, many people try and give up.

Kiero (still not famous) doesn't bad smell, and can make compost for only 1-week, is sustainable tool. Microorganisms in the soil decompose garbage.

About Mini-Kiero
Kiero is too big for my balcony. (My balcony is japanese average size.)
It is 31 inch high, 37 inch wide, 18.5 inch deep and weighs 27 kg.
Because, Kiero needs 1 soil-place for raw garbage per 1 day. The garbage of next day nees another soil-place. Kiero have 7 place for 1 week. If you bury monday-garbage in soil, this garbage is decomposed for 1 week, and next monday, you can 
bury new garbage in the same soil-place. In that way, you can make a week's garbage into compost and sustainably.

But, my balcony is narrow. So I had to make miniature size.
Mini-Kiero can only 2day's garbage. I am trying to reduce garbage itself and successfully circulating daily all raw garbage into compost in my life.

How to make Mini-Kiero
This may 1st, it's called "Golden Week" in Japan, it's long vacation about 2 weeks. 
I had an idea to make a "mini-Kiero" fitting for my balcony.

Just because the IKEA chest called "RAST" was broken, I made my compost maker with it. In the end, I was relieved because the idea came into shape.

(left) original chest, (right)compost maker I made
f:id:naru443:20200506190601p:plain f:id:naru443:20200617130227j:plain
1. Cut the bottom drawer and turn it upside down.
2. Attach the drawer door plate to the open side, make a long box. (the knob is removed) 
3. Put heat insulating material inside.
4. Painted the remaining Osmo to tree part for waterproof and dried it overnight.
f:id:naru443:20200507150641j:plain My daughter took the picture.
5. I filled the gap between the insulating material with joint coke and waterproof tape, and put black soil in it.

Well, I put garbage.
It seems that the microorganisms in the black soil decompose raw garbage. it's great.

Many people make the lid with a transparent corrugated sheet, but since it is hard to cut, I made it with a chick vinyl tablecloth. Finished by covering the box!
f:id:naru443:20200617130227j:plain 「black soil」の画像検索結果
It's hard to see, the two wooden board is fixed to the vinyl cloth with nails.
The board fits outside the compost box and also acts as a weight to prevent the lid from flying when the wind blows. 

about my usage
This is my raw garbage of 1 day. Garbage is chopped to small pieces. This day, main garbage was Coffee grounds. 

f:id:naru443:20200705122703j:plain

Compared to ordinary households, the amount of garbage of my family is very small. The amount was about 150g.

f:id:naru443:20200705122907j:plain

Dig the soil and put them in, then shower the water, then mix with scoop. 

Finally cover the soil.

f:id:naru443:20200705122921j:plain

1 week later, all composted.

f:id:naru443:20200705122952j:plain

I keep putting it on the left side for one week, on the right side for the next week, and so on.


Advantages of Kiero
--> Less row garbage!
      Now my family throw only few raw garbage. 
--> Get compost for free!
      It helps my reborn-vegetable garden very well in balcony.
--> Garbage looks like a beloved Treasure and makes you happy!

Let's try kiero!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog